Friday, December 11, 2009

Mrs. Flinger's {W}rite of Passage Challenge #1

I'm participating in Mrs. Flinger's {W}rite of Passage Challenge. This is Challenge #1. Here is our instructions for this week's challenge.

As Anne Lamott says in "Bird by Bird" we're working on our shitty first drafts here. We'll pick a topic, per week, to share on our blogs. This week's topic: Character. Find a person in public today and study their character. Make a story surrounding them. Build them in to your shorty essay.

I observed a situation, then added some twists, and created my Character story.

Here we go......


She couldn’t believe it, shit, shit, shit. There he was. It was the first time she saw him since his disappearance on the “meet up” night, 7 months ago. Oh no, hold your stomach in, laugh, I need to laugh and have fun, she thought. Yeah, but not too much fun and stand out and be obnoxious. She had to blend in just right. He can’t see her being nervous.

Shit, my hands are sweaty again. DO I dare steal a glance? No, no he’ll see me and I’ll look like a pathetic fool. I’ll wait, for him to seek me out. He always has. I’ll ignore that he is here. Play it out, wait and see. But I can’t even look at him. I might not turn away. I’m sure everyone will see right through me. Could they tell how hopelessly in love I am with him?

All night she was “on”. She played her words right, made the right jokes, even knew cool current events to talk about. She listened to whoever she was talking to, and played the best friend role to all. But she could feel him looking at her. She could feel the tension when he stood somewhat close to her. She wanted to turn and kiss the hell out of him. But, no, he stood her up. She was led along and then abandoned, without an explanation. She knew why, but she wanted to hear it from him. She wanted to maybe give it a try. She was unsure. But now she felt foolish, stupid, embarrassed. He didn’t even return her phone call or text messages. She wasn’t looking for commitment. A cool friendship probably. A whatever. Let him be a part of her life, just a little bit. She loved talking to him. He made her laugh, he was fun. He made her realize everything she was missing, and she felt alive again around him. He liked the same things as she did. He was perfect. He made her palms sweaty. And he was really cute. It’s been so long since he showed his face around the neighborhood. And now here he is.

Well, at least I know I look better since I saw him last, she was thinking. The health club membership surely paid for itself lately, helping her to work it all out on the elliptical. She was always there these days, and her figure reaped the benefits. Her curves were toned and she went from cute to hot. He had to notice. She hoped he did. Look what you lost out on, she thought.

“Guess who’s been checking you out all night?”, her friend whispered in her ear, as she walked by.

“Do you think?”

“Uh, yeah. I was talking with him and his eyes darted in your direction about every 5 minutes. He’s trying to be cool and thinks no one’s noticed, but I did, and he’s watching you. I think he doesn’t know what to do.”

"Yeah, well join the club."

"You look great."

"I was hoping I would when this day came."

{{ Success, Cheers! }}

"I feel like an ass."

"Don’t"

But then he walked by her. And their eyes met. They couldn't avoid the connection they have. The magnetism that pulled them to each other. And they picked up, where they left off. Never noticing another person around them for the rest of the night.


1 comment:

  1. Keep going! you had me going with the story, and then it just...STOPPED. Tell us more about their reunion. :o)

    ReplyDelete